Current:Home > MarketsVirginia governor pardons man whose arrest at a school board meeting galvanized conservatives -Capitatum
Virginia governor pardons man whose arrest at a school board meeting galvanized conservatives
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:40:02
The father of a Virginia student sexually assaulted in her high school bathroom has been pardoned after his arrest two years ago protesting a school board meeting became a flashpoint in the conservative push to increase parental involvement in public education.
Virginia Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin announced on Fox News Sunday that he had pardoned Scott Smith of his disorderly conduct conviction stemming from the June 2021 incident. The episode featured prominently throughout the gubernatorial campaign that year for Youngkin, who has made support for the so-called “parents’ rights” movement a cornerstone of his political brand.
“Scott Smith is a dedicated parent who’s faced unwarranted charges in his pursuit to protect his daughter,” Youngkin said Sunday in a press release. “Scott’s commitment to his child despite the immense obstacles is emblematic of the parental empowerment movement that started in Virginia.”
According to Loudoun Now, Smith threatened to kick out the teeth of deputies who dragged him away from a Loudoun County School Board meeting over state-mandated protections for transgender students. The local news outlet reported that he’d argued loudly, clenched his fist and sworn at a woman while demanding answers over the handling of his daughter’s assault.
In a statement released Sunday, Smith vowed to pursue legal action against Loudoun County Public Schools and continue fighting “for parents and their children.” The district did not immediately respond to a phone call and email requesting a response.
A trial was scheduled this fall over Smith’s appeal of the disorderly conduct conviction and a circuit court judge had already tossed another charge of obstructing justice. Smith told WJLA that his pardon marked a “bittersweet moment.” He hoped the justice system would absolve him of wrongdoing without the “offramp” of a pardon.
“What happened to me cannot ever happen to another American again,” Smith said in an exclusive interview posted Sunday.
The teenager convicted of assaulting Smith’s daughter was later found guilty of forcibly touching another classmate at a nearby school where the perpetrator was allowed to attend classes while awaiting trial in juvenile court. The case galvanized conservatives nationwide when reports spread that the student — who was assigned male at birth — wore a skirt during the first attack.
Youngkin’s administration has since rolled back protections for transgender students. Model policies posted last fall by the Virginia Department of Education say students use of bathroom and locker facilities should be based on biological sex and that minors must be referred to by the name and pronouns in their official records, unless a parent approves otherwise.
The fallout came last December for the Northern Virginia school district in the Smith case. The board fired its superintendent after a special grand jury accused him of lying about the first sexual assault. The grand jury’s scathing report accused the school system of mishandling the teenage perpetrator and said authorities ignored multiple warning signs that could have prevented the second assault. Administrators failed to sufficiently communicate the risk posed by the student to the new school, according to the report.
The grand jury found a “stunning lack of openness, transparency and accountability” but no evidence of a coordinated cover-up.
veryGood! (4386)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Green Day to play full 'American Idiot' on tour: 'What was going on in 2004 still resonates'
- Kaley Cuoco gets candid about first year of motherhood, parenting hacks
- Overdraft fees could drop to as low as $3 under new Biden proposal
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Songwriters Hall of Fame to induct Steely Dan, R.E.M., Timbaland, Hillary Lindsey
- Indigenous faith, reverence for land lead effort to conserve sacred forests in northeastern India
- What to do if your pipes freeze at home, according to plumbing experts
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Overdraft fees could drop to as low as $3 under new Biden proposal
Ranking
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- 2023 was the deadliest year for killings by police in the US. Experts say this is why
- Trinidad police are investigating a shooting that killed 3 people and wounded 5 others
- Mar-Jac poultry plant's inaction led to death of teen pulled into machine, feds say
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- 'All My Children' actor Alec Musser's cause of death revealed
- Turkmenistan’s president fires chief prosecutor for failure to fulfill his duties, state media say
- Aide to Lloyd Austin asked ambulance to arrive quietly to defense secretary’s home, 911 call shows
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Mar-Jac poultry plant's inaction led to death of teen pulled into machine, feds say
Man accused of using golf club to fatally impale Minnesota store clerk ruled incompetent for trial
Horoscopes Today, January 16, 2024
A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
Jason Kelce showed his strength on the field and in being open with his emotions
Audio obtained from 911 call for Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin
How social media algorithms 'flatten' our culture by making decisions for us